POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : How are winners decided? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:49:42 EDT (-0400)
  How are winners decided? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Warp
Subject: How are winners decided?
Date: 12 Sep 2009 17:22:22
Message: <4aac110e@news.povray.org>
As far as I understand, one image is eligible for only one price. If,
for example, the first place winner also has, let's say, the highest
technical score, the honorable mention for technical merit is instead
given to the image with the second best technical score (and if that one
already had the second or third place price, the technical merit price
is given to the third best, and so on).

  However, what happens if an image would be equally eligible for more
than one honorable mention price (iow. it has the highest score on more
than one category, but did not win one of the three first prices)? Which
one is chosen?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   As far as I understand, one image is eligible for only one price. If,
> for example, the first place winner also has, let's say, the highest
> technical score, the honorable mention for technical merit is instead
> given to the image with the second best technical score (and if that one
> already had the second or third place price, the technical merit price
> is given to the third best, and so on).
>
>   However, what happens if an image would be equally eligible for more
> than one honorable mention price (iow. it has the highest score on more
> than one category, but did not win one of the three first prices)? Which
> one is chosen?

Here's the approach I'm following:

First, second and third place are awarded based on the average overall
score.  These three winners are eliminated from consideration for the
merit awards since they already won.

Of the remaining entries, the highest average technical merit submission
wins the technical merit award (i.e., add up the total technical merit
scores for a submission and divide by the number of votes for that
submission).  The highest average artistic merit submission wins the
artistic merit award and the highest average conceptual merit submission
wins the conceptual award.

The awards are assigned as technical first, artistic second and
conceptual third.  If an entry wins an earlier award it's not eligible
for winning another award.

Does that sound reasonable?

David Buck