POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Copyright infringements? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Copyright infringements? (Message 39 to 48 of 48)
From: simian
Subject: Re: Copyright infringements?
Date: 21 Jan 2003 19:46:00
Message: <3e2de9c8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:27:04 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> "simian" <mik### [at] localhostlocaldomain> wrote in message
>> That is moot. The IRTC is now distributing it. The IRTC obviously does
>> not have a problem with the music at this time. The issue raised was
>> voting and nothing else. Even if it is the most blatant pirated
>> material, the IRTC has put it online for voting.

> A server put it up there in an automatic process before anyone saw it.

	An analogy would be a bomb set off by a timer. The timer did
it not the bomber. People are completely responsible for the consequences
of their automated systems.

> It has also only done so for a week so far.  IIRC most legal action
> would start with a cease and desist order.  One gets in bigger trouble
> if one SELLS the music, which would happen if the animations remain in
> the collection until a CD is sold.

	The rules are regarding the contest not suitability for inclusion on
the CD.

>> The IRTC as the creator of the rules is the sole judge of compliance
>> with the rules. They have allowed it in the competition therefore it is
>> in compliance with the
>>  rules.
>> As the IRTC does not consider it a copyright violation there should be
>> no voting reflecting an opinion contrary to that of the IRTC.

>  Is "IRTC" some all-knowing guy?  I thought it was a committee of
>  volunteers
> with a Life and a day job, with multiple reasons for being a slow-to-act
> body. They haven't been fully aware of it yet.

	I do not say they are all knowing. I say if they believe a problem
exists it should be removed from the contest. Leaving them in the contest
is continued dissemination of the material regardless of the automated
manner in which is first appeared.

	Vigilante action based upon personal knowledge of copyright law is
unwarranted and leads to chaos.

	If they remain in the contest then there should be no consideration of
copyright issues.

Post a reply to this message