POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 character set handling : Re: v3.8 character set handling Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:50:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 character set handling
From: ingo
Date: 4 Jan 2019 08:27:59
Message: <XnsA9CD932976F8Dseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:5c2e6746@news.povray.org clipka wrote:

Sorry, can't comment on the whole character sets thing, it's beyond me,

> backward compatibility

but this got my attention.

I know that backwards compatibility always has been a big deal with POV-
Ray, but is breaking it and keeping all previous versions around as binary
and/or source not an easier way to do that? Maybe even as a single
download.

I would not mind having several versions on my system and having the IDE
automatically switch to the right engine based on the #version directive
in the scene.

Ingo