POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : photography to povcomp equivalence? : Re: photography to povcomp equivalence? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photography to povcomp equivalence?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Feb 2005 05:17:35
Message: <Xns95F772E1020F3jgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery.htm
>
> http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery-GGSunset.htm
>

> This site, displaying photographs taken with a
> eight gigapixel camera seems to show evidence that
> the information contained within a povcomp style
> image is better reprensented at detailed levels
> than the same scale of data is represented through
> optical photography.
>
> I.E., the loss of edtail and resolution evident in the
> sectional displays of the overall photograph would
> not occur with a Pov-Ray generated image.
>
> Anyone agree, or see else of significance?

Classical Jpeg vs Lossless...
All digital camera do compress (with loss).

Moreover, even 8 Gigapixel camera do not have a 24 bits definitions
(and therefore, if you ever consider using povray with a 48bit PNG...)

And the glass-lenses used for the camera is either very (very very)
expensive or just not as good as it used to be for the old chemical
camera (the expensive one, also and at least).

--
This is an unauthorised cybernetic announcement.

When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only
say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.