POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation : Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientificvisualisation Server Time
18 Apr 2024 12:43:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientificvisualisation
From: yesbird
Date: 20 Feb 2023 05:06:44
Message: <710228e9-9917-2c5b-9e0d-c7c21533e12e@gmail.com>
> I see no mention of gamma in Mr. Moreland's article, nor in any of the
> papers he linked.

Hi Cousin,
Thanks for your comment and interesting question. I am not sure that
gamma correction is so important for scientific visualization. This is
not photography, where we trying to achieve highest realistic level,
colors only helps to interpret model more accurate, they are
'suppositive' here.

I any case, if someone need it, he can implement macro, processing data
array according his requirements (thanks to Bald for advice to store
data separately of their interpretation).

 > I am unfamiliar with MatLab.  Does it address color gamma?

As to Matlab, yes, it has methods for gamma correction, but not at
colormap, but at image level:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/lin2rgb.html
--
YB