POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Direct stochastic tiling : Re: Direct stochastic tiling Server Time
31 Aug 2024 18:57:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct stochastic tiling
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Nov 2023 19:20:38
Message: <65458046$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/23 15:31, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Plenty of other spirals out there to code up and experiment with, once I get
> some of this other heavy-lifting out of the way.

:-) Indeed. Somewhere, I've got a book on nothing but spirals.

I guess I see a practical need for some basic capability for vortex
effects and a few of the more basic spirals. Beyond that, not sure.

Thanks for the additional ideas and especially the spiral code with
which I play. I've got some of your earlier work on spirals stashed away
too for when I can really get after the topic.

Heck, I've got a LOT of your general ideas stashed away! I can't keep up
with you - or jr - truth be told.

On the "bah" comment. One of the things our current spiral capability
doesn't do well is start and stop exactly where we want it to - in a
clean way. We have hard starts and stops on numerical limits or by
fading the effect in or out. The piecemeal assembly of spirals does fill
a need for clean, limited duration, spirals - admittedly by default! :-)

Thanks for the thought to add the isosurface inside test comment to
documentation. It's done in the documentation I'm shipping with the yuqk
fork.

These days, I'm less a fan of massive popularity for POV-Ray than I
expect you and others are. I'm becoming more and more averse to noise -
and kids playing on my lawn.

Bill P.