POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tracking down slow renders : Re: Tracking down slow renders Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:52:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracking down slow renders
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 May 2023 08:02:07
Message: <645cd93f$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/10/23 17:27, Alain Martel wrote:
>  From my experience, when using +q0 to +q3, transparent pigments do show
> as transparent. Both filter and transmit.
> Then, from +q4 to +q7, anything transparent shows as black, for any
> pigment and any amount of filter or transmit.

Thanks Alain. This must mean the non refracting transparency is handled
apart from refracted - we perhaps should add a 'level' for those sorts
of rays too.

Also that the 'full ambient' and 'ambient' both meant the same "full
ambient" in the original documentation.

---

Thanks jr. Your idea is better. It would add a somewhat large set of
flags/ini options, but offer much more flexibility during debugging.

It's more doable with Christoph's post v3.7, quality code mechanisms
cleanup. The individual controls are now booleans prior to the tracing
conditionals - which means I should be able to override the quality
level set booleans if I get the order of the flag / ini evaluations
right. Or probably safer, but uglier to code, some method which
remembers all the individual feature control settings and uses those at
some later time during set up to override the quality determined boolean
settings.

Bill P.