POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source : Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:36:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 May 2023 05:36:52
Message: <6454ce34$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/5/23 01:45, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> "puni" <pun### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> --with-boost=/home/apps/...
>> configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
>
> the linker looks in cached directories for its libraries.  /home/ directories,
> usually, aren't part of that set.  think you need to add the path[*], check out
> 'man ldconfig'.
>
> [*] or, better, install the libraries in the designated directories, ie under
> '/usr/[local/]lib64'.
>
> regards, jr.

Hi,

As jr suggests a standard 'machine image' package install of boost would
likely solve the issue.

---
That said. Did you first try pointing to just where the boost libraries
are located on your machine? This is done with:

--with-boost-libdir=LIB_DIR

It looks to me like from your earlier posts - and this latest - that you
are finding the boost headers during configuration, but not the boost
library when attempting to link a final executable.

I'd suppose if both your boost headers and libraries were installed in
non-standard locations you might have to use both as in
--with-boost=PATH and --with-boost-libdir=LIB_DIR.

I've not played with trying to use a personal install of boost like that
during configuration. I wonder what will happen if the system 'OS image'
already has boost installed in a standard - or somewhat standard way.

Guess, the hope would be only the ./configure specified versions would
be used, but, I've not tried it. A $HOME install of any program
dependency comes with more risk / potential instability.

Another thought, getting at basics, have you looked for the actual boost
thread library on you machine (and/or in your home directory install) ?

On my Ubuntu 22.04 machine it's at:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.so

which is really a symbolic link to:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.so.1.74.0

Bill P.