POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source : Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 May 2023 15:23:37
Message: <64540639$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/4/23 07:50, puni wrote:
> One confirmation to you, I've to install povray from source, I need this package
> in all nodes of HPC cluster so I'm installing this on mounted storage system
> from source.

I'll say a few things in addition to what jr has said.

---
First, You've specifically stated the version of source you are trying
to compile is v3.7.0.0. There have been a number of issues fixed over
time and the current v3.7 source release is: v3.7.0.0.10. See:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.0.10

---
There have been a number of boost related linking issues in the past
with various compile configuration triggers. Many were worked around by
adding:

LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread -lboost_date_time"

and later for a brief time just

LIBS="-lboost_date_time"

to the ./configure invocation.

---
The newer v3.8 release has worked to remove some of the boost
dependencies and IIRC v4.0 (master) uses only boost headers.

The latest v3.8 release - including a more traditional unix tarball
where you need run only the ./configure script in the traditional way
can be found at:

   https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-beta.2

with povunix-v3.8.0-beta.2-src.tar.gz being the traditional sort of unix
tarball.

Of course, you may or may not want to use v3.8 for other reasons.

---
Some linux distributions put the boost libraries in directory location
certain versions of autotools won't find automatically and you need to
point to the library explicitly while running ./configure.

This had to be done on some Raspberry Pi systems running the Raspbian OS
(Now called Raspberry Pi OS I think). Let me see if I can find that
thread... Yep, from June 2017 a user found they had to configure with:

  ./configure ... --with-boost-libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

If your boost library is in a non-standard location, you might need
something similar while running ./configure. Though it looked from the
snippet as if you are finding some of boost during configuration for the
compile and link.

Bill P.