POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : screws.png : Re: screws.png Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: screws.png
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 24 Apr 2023 19:56:15
Message: <6447171f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-04-24 15:38 (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:

> We had a guy work out a bunch of the math for getting the right thread profile,
> a while back.
> I'm sure there are other macros for generating screw threads - It's something
> I'm certain could be expanded into a field of its own.  Just paging through
> Machinery's Handbook, it's an extensive topic.

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C875zph8073.fsf%40munyer.com%3E/?ttop=437822&toff=200

I created isosurface functions for machine screw threads that take the
major diameter and thread count as parameters.  The functions are more
turnkey than Robert Munyer's code, and give the same results.

https://news.povray.org/5eec257c%241%40news.povray.org

Beware, there is an illegitimate apostrophe in my post.  I didn't notice
it until too late.