POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : jr's large csv and dictionary segfault in the povr fork. : Re: jr's large csv and dictionary segfault in the povr fork. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: jr's large csv and dictionary segfault in the povr fork.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Mar 2023 09:47:08
Message: <64204cdc$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/26/23 05:55, jr wrote:
> wondering whether it's possible we're "out-running" the (C++) garbage collector,
> and when the macro is called, it then sees "inappropriate" memory on occasion?

There isn't a garbage collector in C++/C. Memory is allocated when
needed and released when no longer needed.

Your question thought still a good one. It takes considerable time to
walk through all the allocations and free them more or less unwinding
all the allocations(a). It should be nothing new parser related proceeds
until the memory is freed, but...

Today the memory free up and re-allocation happens in a big way when we
move frame to frame in an animation because one parsing thread goes
away(a) and another gets created for the next frame. Parsing itself is
always single threaded, unlike most other parts of POV-Ray, so we should
not see multi-threading issues per-se.

What I too suspect is that we are perhaps sometimes seeing not quite (or
perhaps in-correctly) initialized new parser memory that still contains
data from the previous parser thread. This could explain why once we see
fail points, they sometimes repeat that fail signature for a while.

Aside: I've gotten another two complete povr animation passes through
with those changes to foreach.inc. Magic, but still real magic! FWIW. :-)

Bill P.

(a) - Back in my working years we were using a large, internally
developed, interactive tool. On it's conversion to C++ we got frustrated
because it took forever to exit the application as the memory was
painstakingly released bit by bit. The developers solved the problem by
intentionally crashing out of the application and letting the OS clean
up the process related memory! ;-)

Anyhow. There is a performance cost to maintaining a, sort of, minimum
memory foot print over time (as there is too for garbage collection
memory management when it kicks in). I've wondered how much time we are
burning doing memory management alone. Plus C++, because it tends to
allocate as needed, ends up with bits and pieces of things all over the
place in physical memory where it would be much better for performance
if related memory were allocated (or re-allocated) in big contiguous
blocks. Newer C++ versions have features intended to help with this
memory fragmentation issue. Ah, whatever I guess. All still well down on
my todo / toplaywith list.