POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 Mar 2023 11:40:02
Message: <641dc452$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/19/22 09:41, jr wrote:
> then it got .. tasty 😄.  ran with verbose false and logging enabled, and got (out
of
> five runs) two successes and three segfaults (all past frame 3500, but different
> #s).
>    povray2[664477]: segfault at 25 ip 00000000004c733
>
> [*] each test done twice or more.
>
> I'd be interested to know whether your's too crashes.

Looking at this issue again after a year! (Sorry)

I can now see the exact re-producible fails you'd mentioned. I changed
the cylinder source code so it simply writes the duplicate apex base
vectors rather than issue a throw(a). Starting always from a saved case
which reached frame 3000. I run repeatedly and it is always the same
three fails!

I, like you, have had other fail signatures, but it looks like if we
start with certain fixed conditions the fail points are indeed the same.
This perhaps enough information for me to insert a break point.

I've tried a few other things shooting in the dark and like you get as
often as not 'other' odd results.

---

At the moment I am trying to get your seg fault signature above using a
debug compile having symbols - where the core file generated should be
useful.

You didn't get this fail every time, and so far I've not gotten a
segfault. I'm just running it and running it again for a while with
verbose false and logging enabled. We'll see.

Bill P.