POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What about repeat and offset with image / bump maps? : What about repeat and offset with image / bump maps? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  What about repeat and offset with image / bump maps?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 Mar 2023 18:19:37
Message: <64012f09@news.povray.org>
As we were playing around with image_maps and height_fields, I was
reminded there is support for the keywords 'repeat' and 'offset' in the
image_map and bump_map code.

These look useful to me in that they can accomplish what we usually do
with scale and translate, without an actual transform. Anyone know why
they are, since v3.7 at least, hidden from users? Or have I again missed
some documentation?

Attached an image with traditional 'once' map on the left. In the middle
using repeat <2,2> (how many/much in 1x1) and offset <0.5,0.5>
(accounting for 2x repeats in 1x1).

On the right we go with repeat <3,3> only and add in the two repeat/flip
tiling warps. I don't believe we can as easily accomplish this kind of
tiling effect another way.

Aside: Those image_map repeat values can be any non integral positive
(>0) float too.

Bill P.

//---
#declare Pigment00 = pigment {
     image_map { "p189crop.jpg"
         repeat <2,2>
         offset <0.5,0.5>
         map_type 0
         once
         interpolate 2
     }
   //warp { repeat x flip x }
   //warp { repeat y flip y }
}
//---

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'imap_repeat_offset.png' (457 KB)

Preview of image 'imap_repeat_offset.png'
imap_repeat_offset.png