POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : povr features required in official : Re: povr features required in official Server Time
24 Apr 2024 16:41:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povr features required in official
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Feb 2023 12:29:43
Message: <63fb9707$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/26/23 06:59, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> as per the subject, I have tried to .. brow-beat CC to consider some of the nice
> 'povr' features you added, when the opportunity arose talking about the
> broken-on-Linux RTR feature.
>
> so, regarding RTR, I want to find out what (pretty much) exactly was the
> difference to the Windows version (and 'povr').  my guess was/is, essentially a
> pointer not pointing to the correct buffer, as everything appears to work except
> the preview window.

IIRC. The only thing you need to do to activate the existing rtr feature
with 'unix' compiles in v3.8+ branches is to define a variable called
RTR_HACK.

There were a couple of issues / bugs as I recall which are fixed in the
povr source. First was that RTR_HACK didn't wrap all the rtr related
code - why it appears to be there, but broken with unix compiles. There
was too a bug where AA worked only for the first frame or two of an rtr
animation - true no matter the Operating System. Might be some other
stuff, but nothing popping into my head.

There is too a POV_RTR_DEBUG define - but I don't 'think' it currently
used. It might be in certain sets of code.

The povr fork has gone on to add additional features as you know. All
should be wrapped with RTR_HACK as in:

#ifdef RTR_HACK
#endif

> have several more questions, but would (probably) prefer to ask those in
> private.

I'll email you from my gmail account. I hardly use it these days, but it
is the account where I've tried to keep most POV-Ray email.

Bill P.