POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation : Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:49:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 19 Feb 2023 20:50:25
Message: <63f2d1e1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-02-19 19:29 (-4), yesbird wrote:
> This is a set of ready-to-use colormaps, each contains 256 colors. Most
> of them exported from Matlab, other from this page:
> https://www.kennethmoreland.com/color-advice/
>
> Color information stored in 2D array, colormaps are generating by the
> macro, allowing re-scaling and applying desired transparency.
> Usage examples also present.
>
> Download: https://github.com/syanenko/Colormaps

I see no mention of gamma in Mr. Moreland's article, nor in any of the
papers he linked.  Online colors are typically sRGB or gamma 2.2 (with
good reason), but your tool is set to gamma 1.0 (also with good reason),
and there are no srgb keywords or exponentiation in your code.  In the
absence of documentation to the contrary, color definitions tend to
default to sRGB, often simply because the author is completely unaware
that color non-linearity is a thing.  How can we be sure that you have
interpreted Mr. Moreland's colors correctly?

I am unfamiliar with MatLab.  Does it address color gamma?