POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field function illustrations : Re: Height field function illustrations Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field function illustrations
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 18 Feb 2023 09:08:42
Message: <63f0dbea$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 18.02.23 14:25, yesbird wrote:
> To illustrate our discussion about height field function with wave deformations,
> and as part of POV-Ray popularization, I've rendered few most tasty examples:
>
> https://github.com/syanenko/Height-fields
> --
> YB

Looks like a ridged Perlin function... as I want to generate Earth-like
planets with a realistic height distribution, since a long time I'm
looking for a function yielding long branching mountain chains but also
broad plains at intermediate height levels, and finally deep low basins.
Did not find it yet - my experiments with ridged_hf and related
functions always just produced continents with massive elevations but
narrow to non-existent coastal plains...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar