POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sea water : Re: Sea water Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:50:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sea water
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Sep 2022 07:35:03
Message: <6332dfe7$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26-9-2022 om 21:54 schreef Chris R:
> I started playing around with making realistic looking sea water and went down a
> number of rabbit holes creating the island, dock, boat, curtain wall, etc... :-)

I believe this is looking very good already. Like Bald Eagle, I miss the
foam, both from the waves breaking on the shore, and the foam more or
less related to the wave crests. There is work from Sean Day (Wreck),
Marc Jacquier (his lighthouse scene), and Tek also, which tackle these
questions; and there is interesting code on Jaime Vives Piqueres' site.
I combined different approaches in my scene "Eroded Range" from 2020.

> This isn't a terribly high-quality rendering.  I have run it at very high levels
> of anti-aliasing quality and radiosity quality where it takes about 4 days to
> render, but the water is starting to look pretty good, so I thought I'd share
> it.
>
> At some point I'll expand the scene so there's a reason the ship is there, and
> there's a reason the walled fortress is there, but I am inviting comments on the
> water rendering mostly.

Looking forward to the rest of the scene too! Early Medieval, isn't it?

> This is a combination of ideas and code borrowed from Christopher Hormann's
> realistic water tutorial, and a number of newsgroup discussions about using
> media to color the water.

The water media is a tricky business. I have spent hours in experimenting.

> It's exciting that other people are posting their work here more frequently.
> I'm happy the community is alive and well and still coming up with interesting
> ideas.

I agree. Keep on the good work!

--
Thomas