POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desk lamp progress : Re: Desk lamp progress Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desk lamp progress
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Aug 2022 18:00:47
Message: <6307f10f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-08-25 07:26 (-4), Mr wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> I'm still in the process of calibrating indirect lighting when radiosity
>> is not used, or when radiosity { max_sample } is used, [snip]
>
> This looks so good !
> So you are doing a macro that makes sure all values stay physically possible
> range without radiosity or is it something else altogether? is it an on_off
> basis ?

I'm trying to maintain consistent lighting between radiosity scenes and
non-radiosity scenes.  In a non-radiosity scene, this means that the
reflection of the inside of the hood must be accounted for somehow.
I've chosen to do this with a second light_source; but this means
figuring out how much the hood would contribute to radiosity.

In addition, the inside of the hood is very bright, and this means nasty
artifacts unless you have an insanely high count[1] or you limit the
radiosity contribution using max_sample.  The latter option also needs
that second light_source.

[1] Before you respond, Alain, yes, I know about the importance feature.