POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass for v3.8 finish features : Re: Glass for v3.8 finish features Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:05:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass for v3.8 finish features
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 9 Aug 2022 11:16:11
Message: <62f27a3b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/22 10:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 9-8-2022 om 14:53 schreef Thomas de Groot:
>> initially, I wanted to concentrate on the hdr light sources though...
>>
> ...and when I do, no photons are generated!
>
> I use
>    photons {
>      refraction on
>      reflection on
>    }
>
> for the sphere with the hdr map, identical to the code for the light
> source. Decreasing spacing down to a ridiculously small value doesn't
> change anything. I must be missing something here...

I'm perhaps not following, but...

Taking your hdr sphere to be an actual hollow sphere, you are making it
a photon target for any photon light sources by adding the photon block
above. In other words - as far as I know - there is no way to shoot
photons from other than a traditional light sources.

Aside: I've never tried to shoot photons from a light source inside a
hollow object at the inside surface of that object. I'm not sure it
would work given the how the radial 'shooting pattern' is aimed at
target objects. Perhaps this the reason why you get no photons? Hmm,
maybe a spot light would work... Too long since I've played with photons.

Bill P.