POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : PovRay does not start : Re: PovRay does not start Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:50:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay does not start
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Mar 2022 13:30:11
Message: <6234c1a3$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/18/22 10:31, pietro72prog wrote:
> PovRay no longer works for me
> It gives me the following error:
>
> peter @ peter-ubuntu-nb: ~ $ povray
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> /home/pietro/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory

The lack of a valid povray.conf file should not stop a render.

Try:

povray --version

If you get version information povray is running. Then try:

touch void.pov
povray +ivoid.pov

This should render a blank screen and create a blamk void.png file.

---
I think problem you have is with the spaces in the long file path/name.
In v3.6/v3.7/v3.8 the unix/linux space handling is messed up(a) in a way
which requires weird specifications where spaces are involved.

It should be for v3.7/v3.8 the following works:

touch 'void void.pov'
povray +i \""void void.pov"\"

so long as you otherwise get the file path and name right.

Bill P.

(a) - This oddness is fixed in my povr branch so either of the following
more usual file specifications with spaces work:

povr +i"void void.pov"

or

povr +ivoid\ void.pov