POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:03:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Mar 2022 05:39:34
Message: <62345356$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/18/22 03:32, jr wrote:
> (correction)
>
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> and while the above reasoning does make sense, I can't shake the
>> feeling that, underneath, it's a dictionary "thing"/problem.
>
> sorry, meant to write that the actual error is, I feel, misleading, and perhaps
> is a dictionary/macro "thing".
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave>

Played a little with your animation this morning and see similar parse
time fails. Continuing from the failing frame (ignoring whether this
correct for the scene for now) always seems to work. So, it's not the
particular frame calculations as you suggested.

The fails after re-starts from previous failing frames come faster and
faster the larger the size of the usaf_items.csv file. This hints at a
race condition where we are, perhaps, picking up base or apex twice as
base and apex.

Debugging will take time I don't have at the moment. I'll capture the
current work in a debug directory with the intent to come back to it later.

The good news is the fails are somewhat reproducible - though it's a bit
of a pain to reach the 'fail more frequently' state.

Bill P.