POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PigeonTalk : Re: PigeonTalk Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:38:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PigeonTalk
From: David Buck
Date: 5 Feb 2022 06:28:39
Message: <61fe5f67$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Chris.  When I first released DKBTrace, my feeling was that I
had a lot of fun developing it and rendering amazing pictures.  I wanted
to share that feeling with others so that others could experience the
same joy.

That's what I feel about this project.  PigeonTalk is meant to get
people excited about programming by giving them worlds to play in
(graphics, sound, music, AI, etc.) and letting them explore.

I'm also using it as a way to explore new programming paradigms.  I want
to get away from programming as a text-based activity.  We've come so
far in computing that we shouldn't need to restrict ourselves to text
editors and compilers in order to write our programs. Programs are built
on concepts.  Let's find a say to visualize those concepts and edit the
visualizations. We need better tools.

 From a POV-Ray point of view, imagine a scene editor where a plane or a
sphere is shown as a block (look at Scratch or Blockly) using an icon of
a plane or a sphere? What if a texture block could show a small sphere
rendered in that texture? What if a color value showed a square with
that color? What if a camera definition could show a simple scene from
that perspective? A light source could show you a simple scene rendered
from the location of the light source?  Would that make it easier to
look at your SDL script and understand what's going on?

I'm excited by where this could go.  I hope others can share in that
excitement.

David