POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0) : Re: weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0) Server Time
18 Apr 2024 17:37:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird white stain with beta povray v3.8.0 (not with povray v3.7.0)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 13 Jan 2022 20:37:05
Message: <61e0d3c1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-01-13 10:06 (-4), Warren wrote:
> Hi,
> I post a message here, because I get a weird render with povray 3.8.0 beta 1 of
> a scene with the following resolution : 1280x960 (see attached image with this
> message) , you can see a white stain that has the shape of a heart near the
> pentagram. When I render this same scene with stable v3.7.0 the white stain
> doesn't appear. And even weird, when I render this scene with povray "3.8.0
> beta1" but with the resolution of 640x480, I don't get this white stain in the
> final image.

What I've found so far:
 - The artifact varies with the image size.  A 960x720 render leaves an
   oblong stain on the upper left vertex.
 - The artifact isn't completely absent with 640x480.  At 640x480, tiny
   white spots appear along the veins of the pentagram, but they are
   absent in a 3.7 render.  I presume that this means you did not put
   them there deliberately, and that they are related to the big heart-
   shaped stain.
 - 3.8 beta 2 does not solve the problem.