POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : C++ version : C++ version Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  C++ version
From: Alessio Sangalli
Date: 17 Dec 2021 13:31:15
Message: <61bcd773$1@news.povray.org>
Hello, what C++ version does the POV-Ray community want to target for
the future? I see POV_CPP11_SUPPORTED that as far as I were able to
understand is only used to define POVMS_NULLPTR, but older compilers are
supported too anyway.

Is there any reason to continue to support compilers older than C++11?
If we could just assume C++11 (or better, C++17) several sections of the
code could be rewritten to take advantage of new features of the
anguage. For example, I'd start with using constexpr instead of #define
in a lot of cases; kinda of a low hanging fruit, but type checking for
constants is in my opinion worth having in the 2020's.