POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ambient and cast shadows on metallic textures : Re: Ambient and cast shadows on metallic textures Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:06:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient and cast shadows on metallic textures
From: Alain Martel
Date: 25 Nov 2021 12:06:43
Message: <619fc2a3$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2021-11-24 à 22:14, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> It has become conventional wisdom around here, perhaps started by
> clipka, that metallic finishes should have zero ambient, and Alain has
> been carrying that banner ever since.  I have been skeptical, however.

I came to the conclusion that metallic finishes should have zero ambient
through my own experimentation. The metallic textures from the various
includes looked just wrong to me. I started by commenting out the
ambient. I got a massive improvement. Then, I tested with an explicit
zero ambient and got the best, most realistic, result.

When I first posted about it, I was unaware of Clipka's position on that
subject.

The metallic finishes from metals.inc have been made to look acceptable
in an empty scene against a black background, and that's the only
situation where they look somewhat correct.