POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorapophyllite-(K) : Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Nov 2021 02:11:43
Message: <618b70af$1@news.povray.org>
Op 09/11/2021 om 20:02 schreef Kenneth:
>> Latest, less inclusions, and slightly more concentrated and de-centered.
>>
>> The complete set of files can be found now in the p.b.s-f
>>
>> I added a quartz crystal to the set.
>>
> I like this. AND the previous render with more bubbles. Beautiful.
>
> BTW, I did not realize that an object with ior could have inclusions (other
> objects) with *different* ior's-- I thought such constructs would be an example
> of 'variable' ior within an object, which cannot be accomplished in POV-ray,
> AFAIU. I had a mistaken notion that the camera ray would 'see' the outer object
> surface first, which would then set the ior for the entire union-ed CSG. (Kind
> of like the way media operates.) But that's not the case! :-) So I've been
> experimenting with this multiple-ior CSG trick, which can produce some visually
> interesting results. Thanks for the idea.

To tell the truth, I really do not know /how/ the different ior's are
treated together. Afaik, this is not explained in the wiki pages. To
keep on the safe side, I kept the inclusion's ior at 1.0 which is
cheating of course, but at least I was not confronted to strange
effects. On my ToDo list I have put some ior experiments...

--
Thomas