POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ideas. Playing with f_hash inbuilt function. (povr branch). : Re: Ideas. Playing with f_hash inbuilt function. (povr branch). Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas. Playing with f_hash inbuilt function. (povr branch).
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Aug 2021 09:55:34
Message: <611e62d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/19/21 4:58 AM, jr wrote:

FWIW.

'identify hmm.png'

hmm.png PNG 160x120 160x120+0+0 8-bit sRGB 25661B 0.000u 0:00.000

'feh --list hmm.png'

NUM     FORMAT  WIDTH   HEIGHT  PIXELS  SIZE    ALPHA   FILENAME
1       png     160     120      19k     26k    -       hmm.png

Both generate a lot of noise if you ask them to read files / formats
they cannot.

> I think they should be called labels not captions, as they're inside the images
> :-).  natty dash separators, are they supplied or did you have to type them?

Labels/captions. I leaned on feh's thumbnails and - caption directory
text files for each image - feature. These are sometimes actual captions
and sometimes more like labels depending on - a lot of things. FWIW... :-)

The dashes I added on the fly while editing the caption files. The
caption files can be paragraphs of text or what ever you want to put in
them. Positioning is limited to lower left corner or lower centered when
over an image and pretty sure something similar for actual
index/thumbnail captions.

---
Wild aside on feh:

I moved to feh as my 'quick' image viewer because it can use a large
cache and so not bang on my actual disk drive while displaying and
visually comparing images. The latter I do a lot - a quick switch
between two images to see what my eyes pick up. I could never get
programs like eog not to not use my actual disk drive without a fair bit
of extra set up/work.

Anyhow, feh has some interesting features like being able to create on
the fly hot index/thumbnail images. Further, you can code up a number of
actions on key sequences while an image is displayed.

Not explored it too much yet, but this looks a fair bit of the framework
needed to create additional automation around my full scene test cases.

Or, perhaps to back a collection of images with help text / actual scene
files / rendering changed files on the fly / ...  At this point just a
possible path to such things I guess, but looks interesting.

Bill P.