POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GitHub discourages organization : Re: GitHub discourages organization Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GitHub discourages organization
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2021 16:52:29
Message: <611c218d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2021 um 22:33 schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> I very quickly found out that GitHub does not support nested
> organization!  But it does allow sub-folders, so I uploaded each module
> into its own sub-folder.

This is not a matter specific to GitHub, but rather the underlying
architecture, i.e. Git.

As Git had originally been designed just to manage the source of the
Linux kernel, support for sub-projects hadn't been part of the design goals.

However, Git seems to have since grown not just one, not two, but three
ways of managing subprojects; see
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SubprojectSupport for some
introduction.

I've never had much contact with these, and only one variant so far
(can't even recall which ones; Submodules, I think, but I can't be
sure), so I have no recommendation which of these will suit your needs
best. But at lest it might give you a few buzzwords for further searches
on the internerds.