POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta 1 - Parse error using "%s" in Win10
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Aug 2021 07:01:22
Message: <6114ff82$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/21 5:55 PM, clipka wrote:
> Should it though?

Understanding what you are saying below, my answer is still, yes,
because it is what my locale does if the information is available. In
other words POV-Ray's %c result should match what my 'date' command
returns.

Aside: IIRC, there's a huge text file with all sorts of locale
information in it that gets used to create code for compilers and the
like. I've never tried to find it. I do sort of wonder what it looks like.

Hmmm, just had a thought about that line of code in parser_strings.cpp:

setlocale(LC_TIME,"");

I didn't play with that at all. Wondering at the moment what happens if
we move that call ahead of:

std::tm t =
boost::posix_time::to_tm(boost::posix_time::from_time_t(timestamp));

Could it be we are not getting some fields because at that call we are
effectively running: setlocale(LC_TIME,"C") ?

> The C (and by extension C++) standard mandates that `strftime` replace

> That's it, no other specification for it. Whether that is to include any
> time zone information is, I would argue, up to "the locale". For the `C`
> locale, for instance, the standard specifically mandates that a timezone
> specifier is NOT included in the "%c" replacement text.
>
> Also, even if the locale does happen to include a `%Z`, it makes sense
> that it also gets replaced by an empty string, just like an explicit `%Z`.
>
>> // (***) Above issue and time not the actual utc time.
>
> Not at all surprised there.
> Should match your local non-DST time.
>
>> As I believe I mentioned somewhere else, I'm not sure what all doesn't
>> work with respect to formatting given the boost code being used

>> strftime() formatting.
>
>  From all of my understanding, only the timezone identifier (either
> explicitly, or implicitly such as via `%c`) should suffer.
>

> Okay, I guess the takeway lesson here is that as implemented up to (and
> including) v3.8.0-beta-1, your system doesn't seem to have enough
> information to decide what timezone is applicable, presumably because
> the info whether DST is in effect for the date isn't explicitly set, and
> your runtime library's `strftime` function does not make any attempt to
> figure it our for itself.
>
> Which begs the question, what exactly does povr do differently?

The povr code looks like:

         std::time_t tt;
         if (FractionalDays <= -1e5)  // (****)
         {
             tt = std::time(nullptr);
         }
         else
         {
             tt = std::mktime(&t);
         }
         setlocale(LC_TIME,""); // Get the local preferred format
         vlen = strftime(val, PARSE_NOW_VAL_LENGTH, FormatStr,
std::localtime(&tt));

Suppose, if you were to use something like it, you might make use too of
std::gmtime() - depending on settings.

(****) - Yep, my old brain failed too to remember my own trigger for
generating the time_t information immediately. At one point I was
thinking of using any value prior to epoch, but apparently I didn't.

Bill P.