POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Call to Arms: Datetime : Re: Call to Arms: Datetime Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:31:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Call to Arms: Datetime
From: clipka
Date: 12 Aug 2021 03:06:51
Message: <6114c88b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.08.2021 um 08:43 schrieb jr:

>> Thanks, that's an important piece of the puzzle. If I'm not having a
>> total brain fart, this means that (A) and (C) are indistinguishable on
>> your system.
>
> UTC + "British" time are the same from October to March.  not sure about
> "indistinguishable", utilities like 'date' always use/display a time zone.

What I mean is this: Would you have any way of telling whether _POV-Ray_
is displaying local non-DST, or whether it is instead displaying UTC?

Even if it _did_ append time zone information, you still couldn't tell
whether the two pieces of information would actually be related. For all
you know, POV-Ray could take UTC and independently append a string that
happens to represent your proper time zone - or it could take non-DST
local time and append a string that happens to look like a UTC time zone
identifier (which is literally what happens in scenario (C)).

Or it _could_ take UTC and append a string that happens to look like a
UTC time zone identifier (which is literally what happens in scenario (A)).

The thing is, with time zone set to UTC+0 when DST is not in effect, you
just can't tell.