POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:43:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jul 2021 21:30:13
Message: <60f232a5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.07.2021 um 15:35 schrieb Mr:

>> to allow for a compiling rather than interpreting parser.
>
> I'm so glad I asked the question ! Now not only am I fully convinced by all of
> your points ! But I
> actually am pretty enthusiastic ! Thanks to the last line,  about your proposal:
> compiled POV scenes, wow ! that sure is a great benefit. And just to make sure I
> didn't get you wrong, this means some speed increase too, doesn't it?

When re-running one and the same scene a lot, say, in an animation? Yes,
most certainly.

When looping a lot in a scene, even if you render it only once? Probably.

When using a lot of include files that you tend to use over and over
again? Or rendering a scene again that is structured into many
individual files, and you've changed only a single one of them? We could
probably get some performance win for that scenario, too.

When rendering a monolithic still scene, with very few programmatic
elements, just that one single time? No, most likely not.

So we should have a way for the user to tell the parser which files to
compile, and which just to interpret.