POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Facebook 3D posts : Re: Facebook 3D posts Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:57:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facebook 3D posts
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Jul 2021 02:20:13
Message: <60e1531d@news.povray.org>
Thanks for that - very detailed - explanation. It reminds me of two
things (or rather three):

1) You may remember my POV-Ray scene 'Paris la nuit' a couple of years
ago, based on a photograph by Sabine Weiss in 1953. It was just done by
trial and error of course, and a hell of a challenge with all kind of
assumptions. Nothing to do with photogrammetry of course, but I
appreciate your caveats about any "easy magic" ;-).

2) I have seen on a couple of occasions (on TV), archaeologists make a
lot of photographs of an object, under all kind of angles, and later
combine those into a 3d model (with software of course). I saw that done
  in particular on the terracotta army in China. Closer to home, geology
students recently used a drone to photograph the walls of a quarry in
the same manner, and assembled them into a 3d model of the quarry.
Fascinating stuff, and relatively cheap to implement, especially for
students I understood.

3) I have been interested in archaeology for most of my life and so came
quite early across the use of photogrammetry there. If I remember well,
it was used by Unesco during the construction of the Assouan Dam in
Egypt to move the Abou Simbel temple to a higher position. I was a
reader of 'Archeologia' at the time.

--
Thomas