POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:10:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jun 2021 06:52:00
Message: <60c09d50$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.06.2021 um 05:17 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> If v3.8 gets released more or less as is - especially with respect to
> the parser and vm - it will be something like what v3.7 has been for the
> next 5-10 years. It'll be the stable release 'most' people run. Some of
> my play might still be of use to the POV-Ray community working around
> such a stable v3.8 release.

The status quo of the parser is halfway between here and there, so
especially with respect to the parser, releasing "as-is" won't be an option.

However, see the latest dev newsletter on this issue for the direction
things are going to head. I guess it's effectively what you are asking for.

> Aside: I say all the above actually sort of wanting the freetype
> improvements... It's cool, worthwhile work. I understand too, I'm not a
> typical user.

Just to be clear: Those two recent releases don't bring any new
features. They just introduce some fixes to the alpha development
branch, and the experimental FreeType branch, respectively.

Frankly, they're more the result of me checking whether all our tools
still work as they should than anything else. That, and me wanting to
make a statement that POV-Ray development has officially been restarted.