POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:37:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: Chris Cason
Date: 9 Jun 2021 05:15:01
Message: <60c08695$1@news.povray.org>
Following on from my previous post about the cause of the missing articles:

In the long term given I really don't have any insights into how our
current news server does stuff internally (it's not open-source) and the
fact it's old and unsupported I think I have no choice but to migrate to
a different server (probably INN).

I should be able to code a means of converting articles between the
respective spool formats to avoid needing to have the new server take a
feed from the current one (this would add an unnecessary new component
to the path of each article, amongst other possible tweaks).

For any articles still missing after I process the current spool and the
previously nuked but saved db_*.itm files, I should be able to fetch
them from the webview database. Once done I just need to port the spam
filter and I should then be able to bring the new NNTP server up.

I will, if I can find a way to do it, attempt to keep the article
numbers within the groups identical. If that's not possible, though, a
full re-fetch of the groups will be necessary for NNTP users.

The priority I place on doing this will depend on whether or not I can
get the missing articles back into the current server without it
throwing a hissy fit and deleting them again.

-- Chris