POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 08:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Alain Martel
Date: 5 Jun 2021 10:55:38
Message: <60bb906a$1@news.povray.org>

> Op 04/06/2021 om 22:08 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>>> That is an interesting idea... we should certainly follow up that line
>>> to see where it would get us.
>>
>> We should - but I never really dug into that really great project
>> deeply enough

> I have to dig up my old Geomorph code (2004-2005) in which I used
> patterns (including crackle) in different functions to build isosurface
> landscapes. It might inspire...

>>> Maybe. I am not sure what the black hole warp would really add to the
>>> turbulence warp already in place. Granites are not very turbulent by
>>> themselves and rather monotonous in fact.
>>
>> They are, but you have those other patterns which have some size

>> throwing it out there so we can play with it and either decide it has
>> promise -
>> or discard it as "nope - not a good idea".
>>
> I fully agree.
>
>>> Well, it appears we shall not have time to get bored or idle. ;-)
>>

>> Better that
>> than being idle and boring.
>>

>>> In the meantime, I have started to write that piece of documentation you
>>> asked about. Steadily growing.
>>

>> crackle
>> patterns of different scales, one with turbulence, then the whole
>> thing with
>> some turbulence.
>>
> Interesting result indeed. The "cells" are not looking "natural" enough
> to my taste, but with enough tweaking...
>
> It shows, imo, how we have to be careful with the amount of turbulence.

To make your turbulence smoother, reducing the octave parameter could
help. It default at 6. So, maybe try with octave 3.

Next, you can also reduce the lambda. Default of 2. Make it closer to 1.

Finally, the omega could also get adjusted down from the default of 0.5.

A proposition :
octave 3
lambda 1.4
omega 0.25

This should make the turbulence much more wavy and smoother.