POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:43:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jun 2021 02:12:52
Message: <60b72164$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.06.2021 um 03:50 schrieb Tor Olav Kristensen:

> Have you considered using Travis to do automatic testing of povr after each
> commit to Github ?
>
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/c/#ci-environment-for-c-projects
>
> Travis is, AFAIK, free to use for open source projects.

It is. I'm not sure I'd recommend it though.

Yes, it is a German company so that's a pro ;). But there are other
alternatives:

- If you want something braindead simple, go to Semaphore.

- If you want something very flexible, two days ago I would have
recommended AppVeyor, because it is a good deal more powerful (or was,
last time I checked) than Travis CI, and also supports Windows builds.
Well, I just double-checked and found that Travis CI does that, too, by
now. Still, I think AppVeyor has a slightly larger portfolio of OS versions.

   *** BUT ***

If you're hosting on GitHub, I'd strongly recommend instead looking to
GitHub Workflows, aka GitHub Actions. It just so happens that I
discovered and toyed with it just yesterday.

Pros:

- Pretty much identical choice of platforms as the others.

- Easy to set up if you're after something simple, thanks to various
pre-made templates.

- Crazy amount of flexibility if you so desire, regardin the "build
matrix", i.e. which combination of platforms, compilers, build scripts
and whatnot you're using, which combinations NOT to use, on what
branches and under what circumstances to use them, which steps to skip
under which conditions, which jobs have to complete before starting
others, and other such bells & whistles - all while still being
reasonably sane to wrap your brain around.

- Crazy amount of flexibility what steps your job is comprised of (no
hard-wired "pre-buld / build / post-build / deploy" sequence).

- Avoids signing up yet another account on yet another service.

   *** AND ***

in my opinion the most important advantage of all:

- While you're at it, you can use the exact same mechanism to set up
build tests (or other jobs) that you can trigger MANUALLY.

For example, you can set up just a simple automated test to run on each
check-in, and run exhaustive platform compatibility tests only on demand.

(Or, you can set up automated actions in some branches, but keep the
opportunity to manually trigger them on others.)

Caveat:

- For organizations, the free plan includes only 2000 min/month of time
to run stuff. (AFAIU, there is no such limit for repos owned by
individual users, at least for private repos.)