POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:38:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 May 2021 04:33:54
Message: <60b49f72$1@news.povray.org>
Op 31/05/2021 om 10:11 schreef Dave Blandston:
>> Concerning that last point, and with the knowledge that the granite
>> /industry/ names /granite/ everything that is hard, grainy, pretty when
>> polished, I have started to wonder if /all/ the granite codes provided
>> originally by Daniel Mecklenburg (an employee of said industry) /are/
>> really granites. There is little doubt imp, about Canadian Pink and
>> North American Pink; Southern Gray and Medium Gray also seem to be
>> genuine, but I need more info. However, I start to seriously scratch my
>> head with the /black/ granites: Impala and India Black; and what to
>> think of St. Andre Green? I think those are not granites at all but
>> something else, gabbros, gneisses, I don't know what. Again, I need more
>> info. What I want to say by all this, is that those rocks potentially
>> may need a different approach in comparison to the granites proper.
>
> According to the folks at our local granite supply store, some unique granite
> formations turn out to be fairly small and inconsistent over distance. So some
> variations of granite have been totally depleted and are no longer commercially
> available.
>
> Kind regards,
> Dave Blandston
> Suggested motto: "With POV-Ray anything is possible, but nothing is easy"

Interesting you say that and thanks for this info. When I searched

them that were not operational any more (the majority, but over a long
time period of a century or so). Looking also at the geological maps,
depletion is very probable for many of them indeed. The mentioned
granite is a very local occurrence I guess, only available around

--
Thomas