POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! : Re: Ignorance rules! Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:31:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorance rules!
From: clipka
Date: 26 May 2021 22:58:47
Message: <60af0ae7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.06.2020 um 19:53 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> (4) - And, yep. I don't like the DBL, SNGL in our source code since
> v1.0. Or the PRECISE_FLOAT Christoph asked me to add to a pull request
> years back which then never got adopted. PRECISE_FLOAT now needs to be
> yanked at some point from povr and I'd like to drop DBL and SNGL too.

I'm trying to jog my memory here to recall what that PRECISE_FLOAT was
all about, but for the love of it I can't find no reference to it,
except mentions by you yourself: One in 2019-02-17 in povray.beta-test
where you posted a snippet apparently from a custom
`polynomialsolver.cpp` where it appears in a comment, and one in a pull
request from LeForgeron, titled "fix for FS324, regression on triangle"
(pull request #358), where you mentioned "the new PRECISE_FLOAT compile
hook" on 2019-06-06.

Can you help me out which pull request of yours that would have been,
for which I suggested the use of PRECISE_FLOAT?

The Interwebkraken knows nothing else about it, GitHub can't seem to dig
it up, and even in all my dozen unpublished half-finished branches that
spun off at different times in history and still reside on my computer,
none of them seems to contain the character sequence "PRECISE_FLOAT".

Is there a publicly accessible repo for your povr branch? Seeing where
you're using the thing might bring my memory back up to speed.