POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2 : Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 17:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 May 2021 11:41:02
Message: <60aa778e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 23-5-2021 om 16:25 schreef Bald Eagle:

> The render still looks good.  :)
> Section (5) can be condensed using a similar array method.

Right. I was sure I would get this comment! ;-)
I was lazy of course and pushed it forwards.

> In section 8 you have some scene code, but don't define the required parameters
> (or SS) and you have those commented out at the top of the file.

Yes, needs to be expanded/made more explicit.

> IIRC, you can declare all the macro parameters to be optional, and then inside
> the macro do what you're doing with some other parameters:
>
> #ifndef (SN_Start) #local SN_Start = 0.2; #end
>
> But maybe to alert the user to the fact that they may have inadvertently left
> out a parameter or used a misspelling/typo, issue a warning in the #ifndef
> block.

Hmm... yes, that might be smart. I need to think about this a bit.

> (I've been trying to figure out a way make a lot of the things that I write work
> "straight out of the box" without having to do much figuring at all.)

Which of course, is the way to go.

> Perhaps even have a line that declares a texture identifier with the default
> parameters, so that all anyone would need to do to use it is include the file
> and then "TdGGranite" is right there for use.
> #debug "Default material {TdGGranite} defined."

Absolutely. I had been thinking about this and then it got submerged by
development issues.

> Just some ideas.

Much appreciated, to be sure.

The following, I want to comment on separately. Needs more thoughts.

In the meantime, I am also working on a working sslt set... Not so easy!
For instance, a layered texture (veins!) makes sslt go bad.

--
Thomas