POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : clutter.mcr and trace() : Re: clutter.mcr and trace() Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:36:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clutter.mcr and trace()
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 18 May 2021 13:23:24
Message: <60a3f80c$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/18/2021 2:07 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 17/05/2021 om 20:05 schreef Mike Horvath:
>>
>> You can see in the render that the balls are not on _top_ of the hill.
>> (They should be!)
>>

> Well, that was not the /initial/ question, was it? ;-)
>
> "I am having trouble getting the `trace` function to detect
> intersections with a mesh object. Does `trace` not recognize meshes?"
>
> So, what /is/ exactly the problem, and /what/ do you want to achieve?

Sorry.

The clutter macro is supposed to place the spheres and cones on top of
the mesh terrain. Instead, it is placing them all at y = 0. I assumed it
was an issue with `trace`, but this appears not to be the case according
to my tests.

The problem does _not_ occur with the test isosurface or the test
heightfield. I assumed it was a mesh or mesh2 issue, but it is likely
something else. But what?

Mike