POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : clutter.mcr and trace() : Re: clutter.mcr and trace() Server Time
16 Apr 2024 01:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clutter.mcr and trace()
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 May 2021 04:56:02
Message: <60a22fa2$1@news.povray.org>
Op 17/05/2021 om 10:39 schreef Mike Horvath:
>> I had not loaded the code before in POV-Ray, but it appears that each
>> mesh is only 1 (one!) triangle... This is terrible, and no wonder
>> trace does not work well. You need to have at least one mesh
>> containing /all/ the triangles to start with if you want it to work at
>> all.
>>

> Alternatively, do you know how I might create a bitmap heightfield image
> from this data?
>
> For instance, if I were to copy the coordinates into an array and loop
> through the array?

Thinking aloud here... assuming that you can render the landscape itself
without trouble (I assume you can) then using a gradient texture going
e.g. from black (bottom) to white (top) on the landscape, and rendering
that with an orthographic camera from above, within a white sphere
containing a finish {emission 1 diffuse 0}... that would do the job imo.
Make a large render, at least 2048x2048px.

--
Thomas