POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
18 Apr 2024 02:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 May 2021 08:39:14
Message: <609d1df2$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/13/21 7:51 AM, jr wrote:
>> --- Something for the future, perhaps.
>> Aside: I've been thinking too on linux we should move away from setting
>> up default system install directories. Most linux users should install
>> from existing packages, not compile and install. Further, our 'default'
>> build system should not by default, try to overwrite such provided
>> packages on a 'make install.'
> what is the point, except more .. outgrowths.
>
> is this a Debian/Ubuntu thing?  you know, like people who say "PIN number"
> instead of just "PIN".  example.  manual pages don't really have a purpose
> unless shared by users.  so what is the gain, say, from moving '/usr/man/' to
> '/usr/share/man/'?
>

>> I've been toying with the default install directory for linux/unix being
>> /dev/null in fact. (/dev/null being a 'bit bucket / null disk')
> this leaves me .. scratching my head.

My current thinking/leanings come from often compiling versions which
are not in fact complete matches for the provided linux distribution
package POV-Ray directories or what gets installed if you compile the
most recent github versions and install in the common directories.

The fact a 'user' compiled version of POV-Ray is still looking at a
default install directories when those directories have include files
and such not a match for the compiled version can lead to very confusing
behavior. This is an exposure any time, on any OS when the compiled
executable is 'different' than that commonly 'installed.'

If I set the install directory, via --prefix=, during configuration to
/dev/null, I never pick up something I really didn't want for whatever
local version of POV-Ray I'm toying with(1). I can't - there is never
anything in a /dev/null null directory to accidentally pick up.

(1) - It's how I've been running lately after too many times getting
myself tangled up because I wasn't getting the dependency I expected to get.

>> With the 'core' approach and a 'povr' wrapper script you can run in
>> place after a compile or with an install. When a user installs, it
>> should normally be to a local user directory and not a system wide one.
> right.  but which ever location the user chooses, by supporting DESTDIR it's not
> your problem.
>

> while on 'povr'.  I really thought the bottom right sphere of most recent post v
> interesting, a real nice depth effect.  can you please supply a simple scene, or
> at least a complete texture?  (thanks)

Effect is all from the perturbed normal. Let me see if I can find it.

// This a povr branch only example!
#declare Sph00 = sphere { 0, 0.8 }
#declare Grey70 = srgb <0.7,0.7,0.7>;
#declare Pig00 = pigment { color Grey70 }
#declare Nrml00 = normal {
     average
     normal_map {
         [0 bevy type 1 bump_size 0.5] // unbiased wrinkles alt
         [1 bevy type 4 bump_size 0.5] // Lean already wrinkled at +y
     }
}
#declare Fnsh00 = finish { phong 0.5 phong_size 40 }
#declare Txtr00 = texture {
     pigment { Pig00 }
     finish { Fnsh00 }
     normal { Nrml00 }
}
#declare Obj00 = object {
     Sph00
     texture { Txtr00 }
}

In playing more with normals, I'm starting to believe we've not
exploited the mechanism anywhere near as fully as is possible.

Bill P.