POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 May 2021 06:59:46
Message: <609d06a2$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/12/21 9:20 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,

>> So, in an effort to work out a fairly robust process for folks new to linux, and
>> unfamiliar with all of "the usual" ways of doing things that are just left as
>> "we assumed that you already know how to do all of this..." (no) I'm going to
>> use this thread to document installation of official POV-Ray, perhaps by several
>> methods, version 3.8 alpha, and hopefully povr and hgpovray38 as well.
>
> no one mentioned using/creating a (shell, etc) script to build yet, I think, so
> that'd be my advice.

A good idea. On linux based systems a script could take a quick look at
whether the right packages dependencies were installed in a way more
friendly than the configure script. Suppose a concern is it would itself
be an abnormal way to do things for more experienced linux/unix users.
Well, thinking a bit, the prebuild.sh stuff is too with most POV-Ray
sources. ;-)

--- Something for the future, perhaps.
Aside: I've been thinking too on linux we should move away from setting
up default system install directories. Most linux users should install
from existing packages, not compile and install. Further, our 'default'
build system should not by default, try to overwrite such provided
packages on a 'make install.'

I've been toying with the default install directory for linux/unix being
/dev/null in fact. (/dev/null being a 'bit bucket / null disk')

With the 'core' approach and a 'povr' wrapper script you can run in
place after a compile or with an install. When a user installs, it
should normally be to a local user directory and not a system wide one.

Bill P.