POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. : Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:49:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 May 2021 07:38:00
Message: <60928398$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/5/21 6:22 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> Might we implement a normals pattern which allows users to lean/bend
> normals toward a light source as a new normal block pattern?
>
> Sure (?) - would grabbing the light source position and applying the shear_trans
> with the normalized inverse position, and using a normal {function {}} (like I
> _just_ did for Mike H's fake shadow) not do it?

A thought, but I'm thinking simpler at the moment. A weighted normalized
vector addition to the incoming normal in the direction of the point
light(1).

(1) - Partly because in adding the ability to pass a vector to represent
the point light, the same 'eventual keyword parsing' could be used to
specify an arbitrary axis of rotation for other types of normal
perturbation patterns I have banging around in my head.