POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Apr 2021 02:28:30
Message: <60865d8e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/04/2021 om 21:49 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> For your judgment.
>
> Well, it looks like the simple procedural noise that's used for the basis
> pattern is much too round and smooth.  The grains in the real granite are much
> sharper and [rect]angular.

Yes, that is one of my worries.

> It's not clear to me exactly how to achieve that,
> but I think that there should be a move away from a very smooth gradient noise,
> toward something that will give a more crystalline, granular look, perhaps with
> an asymmetric step to it - to make those quartz outlines in the one sample.

The granite pattern is (almost) correct (without the turbulence).

> Could you please try:
>
> #declare Granite = pigment {
>       cells turbulence 0.425 //(0.325 is too low)
>       color_map {Whatever you're using}
> }
>
> to see what I mean?
> I'm interested in seeing a similar render to what you just posted, perhaps with
> whatever improvements you might discover.

Sure.

https://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Turn_a_continuous_function_into_a_stepped_function
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42823308/make-perlin-noise-with-sharp-edges

HOWEVER!
I should have made my first intention with this image more clear as the
grain form and distribution are the next steps.

It is the /texture colour/ which prompted my post: It appears - and not
only with this particular texture - that the original ones, rendered
with Ive's code (deprecated gamma 1.8, etc) are similar to my own
version of the set when using /srgb/ instead of /rgb/ in the
colour_maps! This is interesting because it means that only a minimum of
conversion is needed to get identical results to the originals. The case
of the frosted granite is different as the first author used a different
colour_map for that one in the first place. I do not know why. To be
investigated.

It also explains more comprehensively the original name: Mahogany. The
colour is similar to mahogany wood. Afaiac, I believe I should follow
that path in the first place and maybe disregard my own lighter version
(or not). Not sure yet. What do you think? Independently of your
comments above which are of a different order of course.

--
Thomas