POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : return dictionary from macro [bug?] : Re: return dictionary from macro [bug?] Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:42:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: return dictionary from macro [bug?]
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 17 Apr 2021 08:09:41
Message: <607ad005$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/15/21 11:59 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Aside 2: The segfault and POV_DEBUG assertion is during parser clean up.
> However, I don't understand the related code well enough to know whether
> or not there might be situations where dictionaries might be 'running'
> OK, but not always behaving as they should. Users beware.
>
> Unsure how long it might take me to unravel the dictionary parsing code
> well enough to understand the problems - let alone fix them...

I believe I've run down the two issues to mistakes in a copy
constructor. However, I need to test(1) with large dictionaries having
key hashing collisions to be sure my fixes - as well the previously
existing code - work correctly.

Posting immediately to confirm the previous code has the potential to
"cross dictionaries" if you are using '#declare dic2 = dic1;' like
encodings. Tangled and orphaned entries are possible.

(1) I suspect jr's recent foreach include work will come in handy! :-)

Bill P.