POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
16 Apr 2024 03:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Feb 2021 03:15:01
Message: <603b5105@news.povray.org>
I am currently browsing through the include files to see if I can give a
meaningful contribution to their upgrading to 3.7+ standard. Over time,
some have been added to or partly upgraded, some are in am almost
pristine state going back to version 3.1.

I started small and upgraded skies.inc, using the scene files provided
in scenes/textures/pigments/skies.

This brings up a couple questions, illustrated by the images below. In
this particular skies case, the scenes are typically labelled version
3.6 with assumed_gamma 2.2 (image: s_cloud1-1). Obviously, this cannot
be maintained in any self-respecting program promoting assumed_gamma
1.0! :-)

So, I changed assumed_gamma to 1.0 (image: s_cloud1-2) and while I was
at it, I experimented with Ive's transformation macro and Clipka's
colour boost macro, and thus achieved a version with srgb colours
(image: s_cloud1-3). These macros have been discussed  fairly recently
in these ng's.

The fundamental question is: What do we want?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 's_cloud1-1.jpg' (30 KB) Download 's_cloud1-2.jpg' (27 KB) Download 's_cloud1-3.jpg' (30 KB)

Preview of image 's_cloud1-1.jpg'
s_cloud1-1.jpg

Preview of image 's_cloud1-2.jpg'
s_cloud1-2.jpg