POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Spiral Warp : Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Feb 2021 02:34:54
Message: <6034b01e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/02/2021 om 17:40 schreef Le_Forgeron:
> Le 22/02/2021 à 08:43, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>
>> Just out of curiosity: How is this related to "POV-Ray 4" or whatever
>> POV-Ray 4 stands for? I am lost about the history of that ng.
>>

> I tried to redirect to a more suitable group the discussion started in
> p.b.animations about povr & hgpovray38.
>
> I forgot to update the subject line, and place a FU2 notice too.
>
> I do not know if there is any correlation between pov4 and povr.
>
> For me, povr (as well as hgpovray38) is a divergent work from official
> povray (3.8 not yet published), so it would have been better to continue
> in p.u.patches .

Yes, I understand that, but my question (out of sheer curiosity) was
what, historically, 'POV-Ray 4' was intended to be. I guess it was the
next future version of POV, but the newsgroup 'pov4.discussion.general',
over the years, seems to be filled with unrelated topics. So, I wondered
how povr and hgpovray38 relate to that mythical pov4? Are they
intermediary steps or are they the intended as the 'real thing'? Just
idle questions from a guy who has nothing better to do ;-)

--
Thomas