POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flexible lamp neck : Re: Flexible lamp neck Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:37:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flexible lamp neck
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Feb 2021 09:00:47
Message: <602d218f@news.povray.org>
On 2021-02-10 6:58 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> I figured out how to model a flexible lamp neck using an isosurface.  [SNIP]
>
> Now all I have to do is figure out how to aim it at a point_at.  The
> trig is not straightforward because the light source is not at the tip
> of the neck.

I created a normal for draft or low LOD renders.  Compare the attached
images to the neck of the lamp I posted in the thread "Another CSG scene":

   https://news.povray.org/web.517a15b185775d2078641e0c0%40news.povray.org

Notice that the texture does not spiral.  I had created that lamp for my
3rd generation prefab render rig, and it has a few other deficiencies:
it depends on a private include file; the light bulb surface brightness
is too low; and to make the math easier, I let the light source location
determine the length of the neck instead of the other way around.  I'm
now working on a more general lamp macro.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'flexed_normal1.jpg' (45 KB) Download 'flexed_normal2.jpg' (44 KB)

Preview of image 'flexed_normal1.jpg'
flexed_normal1.jpg

Preview of image 'flexed_normal2.jpg'
flexed_normal2.jpg