POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up media : Re: Speeding up media Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up media
From: Alain Martel
Date: 11 Feb 2021 10:45:30
Message: <6025511a$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/message/%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C59a9ec1c%40news.povray.org%3E

>>> There is nothing really wrong with your code as far as I can tell and
>>> from own experience. From the outside (of the media) it is even
>>> rather fast due to the default intervals 1 and samples 1 (Yes! you
>>> /do/ use samples, even if you don't).
>>>
>>> However, depending on the location of the camera within or without
>>> the media, render times can be very different; you even may need to
>>> increase the samples value to avoid splotches, and that will decrease
>>> render time even more although not that much.
>>>
>>> Using media is time consuming. There is no alternative.
>>>

>> The default for samples is 10.
>> samples default to 1 when using sampling method 1 or 2.
>> The default are, as of version 3.6 :
>>
>> sampling_method 3
>> intervals 1 //DO NOT increase !
>> samples 10
>>
>> Increasing intervals dramatically increase the rendering time without
>> giving any appreciable improvement.
>>
>> samples 10 intervals 3 render slower than samples 50 intervals 1.
>
> I don't know where in the wiki there was a line saying defaults being
> intervals 1 and samples 1,1. Of course, I cannot find that paragraph
> anymore (typical!); but you are right of course: default samples is 10.

You have a mixup between the old version 3.5 and newer version 3.6
documentations.

The format : samples 1,1
is that of method 1 and 2. It's used to set the number of samples for
dark, bright intervals.
It's a leftover from the pre 3.6 version when the default sampling
method was method 1. It demanded an intervals number large enough to
match the number of distinct illuminated areas along a tracing path. If
you had 20 spotlights shining through some media, then, you needed 40,
or more, intervals : One interval for each illuminated part and one
interval for each non-illuminated parts between the illuminated ones.

When using the default method 3, when you have two values for samples,
the second is silently ignored.